AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Promises


It's Sunday. I'm in Miami Beach, FL, and it is a beautiful place to be. My times for business were good and so was some time with friends, and the party atmosphere was everywhere and finally a little hard to take. I even met a new friend in the surroundings. However, they are all earth people and not an AA among 'em. Although I can't figure out how to post a photo (maybe that's a good thing because it is an image of striated blues of the ocean peppered with whitecaps and would make my fellow Ohioans jealous). With the help of my laptop and the hotel staff I made it to a Sunday noon meeting. The subject was PROMISES and a lead was given, and comments made afterwards just like at home. One of the comments mentioned the party atmosphere of Put-in-Bay, Ohio, being like that of South Florida and yours truly could relate. People greeted me as I entered the door of the Sober House, and I liked it. The fellow who put his hand out first told me about his experience, strength and hope and welcomed me "home" and "safe" from the outside influences. Together, we went over the first two words of Step One, something new for me, focusing on WE, of course, and then, ADMITTED. Have I admitted to my innermost self that I'm still obsessing about the drink and what other people are doing with it? Maybe not. At least not until today, when even after a few 24 hours in the program, I'm still obsessing. I called my sponsor and left a voice mail at this person's suggestion. I haven't heard back, yet, so maybe the voice mail was at the wrong number, or not received yet, as she is out of the area in the winter time, too. I liked being at AA today. I need to do that more. Promises, promises, I need to admit that I don't follow a program as well as I should do. I'm glad I'm here. Sun and a little warmth help move the sloth out of my system. And also, I wrote a poem for another group that I thought might apply here - maybe I can get the photo in now.

Lake Erie’s frozen over,

according to the news,

for the first time in fourteen years.

Although I have no memory of our shallow lake

last year,

I believe this report

and prepare to view

an icy glitter as my flight

departs.

It’s still dark; feels like jet lag and I

Remember anxiety and depression this time, last year.

Today, I experience an absence of fear.

Besides, as I proofread this, I’d already gotten out of there.


1 comment:

verge 'n michael said...

Hi Patricia, To add a picture to your blog post: click on the pic box next to spellcheck on the top line.Then it is like adding a picture to an e-mail. You can still do that by clicking edit post which will take you back to your post. Regarding your post, I experienced some of your feelings when Michael and I went to Canal Street in New Orleans a few years ago before the hurricane.I was quite a few 24 hours sober at the time and felt shocked to still be so vulnerable. I put that experience in my memory bank to remind me that I am never cured--I just "have a daily reprieve based on my spiritual condition".