AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Thursday, May 21, 2009

IOU AA

Please forgive me, I'm not the greatest blogger so.......

A little background...... Last week I went to visit my brother, his wife Abby and their 16 month old daughter Pheobe in Ma. for 6 days. My sister-in-law has chosen to be a stay at home mom. (The only way to go as far as I'm concerned!). My husband joined us later in the week and we had a really great time. I was able to get to 3 meetings while I was there. I don't believe that just because I'm on vacation I take a vacation from AA. I love going to meetings in different places.
I'm a 49 year old woman who was not able to have her own children,though early in my recovery I had a really difficult time accepting that. Eventually with the help of my Higher Power, my Sponsor and the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous I made it through that period of my life.
God has since blessed me with many things. A long happy marriage to another sober alcoholic, many friends in the fellowship and a loving family being just a few.
This past week with my brothers' family was an experience I won't soon forget. When Abby asked me if I'd like to put Pheobe down for her nap I didn't give it a second thought. What I didn't realize when I took her upstairs was I was about to have one of the most moving spiritual experiences I have ever had. You see I have never given a baby a bottle before. Imagine a darkened room, a rocking chair, a warm small body against yours, small grunts and sucking noises, you get the picture.
I was quite literally moved to tears.
I was allowed to put her down for nap and to bed for the rest of my visit. On the last morning I had one of those AA aha moments. All the work, all the growth leads to these moments. We are allowed, we have earned the privilege again to participate in life on life's terms.
For those that know me this will come as no suprise when I finish with this is another reason why IOU AA.

2 comments:

Sandy K. said...

Your story really touched me. Thanks for sharing it.
Sandy K.
Wisconsin

verge 'n michael said...

A "not so greatest blogger" leaves a great blog! Thanks HJnF, You made our day!