AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Simple Remedies


My backyard trees have gotten so tall and thick, I have to get on my roof to see much of Pusch Ridge, but it's always worth the climb. It takes a little effort, but it's a simple answer.
About two years ago, I had some surgery on my face that required putting an ointment on the incision for quite a long time. It was one of those antibacterial salves in a tube, expensive but absolutely necessary to guard against infection and promote healing. I guess it worked. Last week, I had another little incision and the medical directions now say to use vaseline (cheap) and add that the antibacterial salves do NOT do a thing to prevent infection. I grew up with vaseline; we always had a jar and used it for lots of things, from lubricating plumbing joints (now we have to buy special tapes and compounds) to salving scrapes and scratches.
Last week I asked my 96-year-old Dad how they dealt with life in the Depression. He said, "Well, for one thing, since I couldn't afford a car, most of your mother's and my dates were walks." I remember my parents loving to go on walks.
The AA Program is teaching me to use the things in life, the tools, that work every time. And, the tools are so simple and inexpensive. All I really have to pay is attention (the hard part).

1 comment:

verge 'n michael said...

Thanks for your picture of Push Ridge. In Ohio we miss the mountains that are the ever-changing presence and present in Tucson. It is hard to Keep it Simple during this period of adjustment with thigh high grass to mow, a garden to plant, and a house neglected for several months. Your words centered us.