AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Saturday, February 21, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow?

When I was going to AA meetings, often, but still drinking inbetween, I would occasionally look around the rooms and kind of imagine what it would be like to be sober. Of course, being a daily drinker, fantasy sobriety was the best I could experience. In young sobriety, I would ponder,"What's my responsibility in my recovery, versus what do I have to let a higher power do?" I brainstormed a lot (storms were basically all my brain contained back then).

This week, while thrilling to the fun of "watching up" my winter garden, I not only saw true leaves emerging on carrots and radishes, but I received a moment of clarity, too. For about six years, I haven't had a garden. More than once, I have tilled the soil and imagined the various rows of winter vegies waiting for me to visit and munch down on the spot. But, again, fantasy gardening was what I had.

Now, god and I have actually planted a garden. This experience is one of the reasons I keep as close to the meetings, program and fellowship as possible. Without participating, I could only imagine sobriety and new potatoes.

No comments: