AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Staying Teachable

Since I moved to this area twelve years ago I have been regularly attending a Step Meeting on Monday nights.
About 7 months ago, the Group that hosts this meeting asked me if I would take the six month commitment as Treasurer. I was quick to point out that I was not a Group Member, and that I thought the position would best be filled by one of their members. I was rather surprised when they said "we don't care what you think, will you do it?
I remembered back to when I was new and full of ideas & thoughts, and eager to share them with others. One day my then sponsor Frank said to me, " what we do is what counts, not what we think, and besides most of our ideas are "old ideas". And holding onto old ideas gives us old results. So stop talking, and start doing!"
With that memory, and knowing from experience that this was a Traditions based group, I accepted.
I fulfilled that commitment, and two weeks ago was 'rotated' into a six month commitment as Secretary.
I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this experience. It has reinforced my understanding of how our experiences can benefit others, and theirs can benefit us. It has given me new insight into the practice of steps 10 & 11, as well as AA's three legacies. By practicing UNITY with other groups through SERVICE to them, we can help strengthen our own RECOVERY.

No comments: