AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Friday, April 17, 2009

Thoughts at Bright Angel Trail


Recently our daughter-in-law took an overnight solo hike into the Grand Canyon. She had planned it for a year as a personal celebration of turning 40. (Or, perhaps thumbing her nose at it.) She has been training for the adventure and is in great shape. She started out down the Kaibob Trail on a Saturday morning and Michael and his daughter and I met up with my son and our granddaughter at the Canyon that afternoon. We talked and laughed, had dinner together, and enjoyed each other's company, and arose the next morning anxious to greet the ambitious hiker.
As I ambled down the beginning of the Bright Angel trail hoping to get a photo of her triumphant return I was filled with gratitude that the program has not only given us the tools to repair family relationships and be welcome at such an event, but also has taught me how to get out of my self absorption and feel a genuine joy in another's acomplishments. I smiled my thanks to that awesome expanse.


1 comment:

PAT said...

What an uplifting post.
Thanks for sharing.
It IS great to be a part of, instead of apart from.
"the promises" do come true!