AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Sunday, March 29, 2009

We're more alike than we are different

My wife and I (also a member of AA) recently had the good fortune to spend some time visiting America's Southwest again - kind of like a winter getaway.
We were hosted by friends who lavished us with good food, good times, all kinds of day-trips, and lots and lots of love.

We also attended a lot of meetings. You know how the saying goes, "Meeting Makers make it!" I love going to meetings, especially when I'm away from home.
Initially, I was again struck by the roughness of the language that was being used, in fact I was somewhat appalled. This comment should be amusing to those who know me from "when"
because there was a time I prided myself on my ability to turn a perfectly good phrase totally blue, and revel in the discomfort of those around me. Today it's different.
In any case, I resisted the temptation to chastise those around me, and instead tried to concentrate on the positives, to identify and not compare. And lo and behold I once again came away seeing how we in AA are all more alike than we are different.
How we follow the same 12 steps. How we believe in a God as we understand him. How we strive on a daily basis to stay sober. How we show compassion and love to the newcomer who so desperately needs our help.

Perhaps looking at the desert landscape helped me. At first glance everything appears monochromatic, barren, harsh. However spending even just a short time experiencing the desert - walking around, observing, smelling - one sees the beauty of God's handiwork there in the flora and fauna just bursting with life and color! And yes, I even saw blue.

No comments: