AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Dose of Humility

Since I have nothing else to do I figured I'd post again. Unusual for me!
Yesterday I went to my regular BB meeting and as God would have it we were reading Step 9 starting with the section about how we have to make direct amends. A mumbled apology will not satisfy. The line that got me! What also stuck out was the spiritual part that we must stand on our feet, we do not crawl before Anyone and that our main purpose is to be of service to others. Several people shared on the promises that start to come if we are thorough as well.
Since I got sick in 2002 I have had nothing but time to give to others and my sponsor has told me time and again it's a blessing to be of service to others! I rarely ask others to be of service to me.
I'm still laid up form my surgery. I'm not only on crutches and can barely walk but I can't drive either. I've had several doctors' appts. the last week or so and have a few more coming up. I also need to get to my meetings. I think you can guess where this is going.
At the same time my sponsor left the state for the winter so I needed to get a winter sponsor. Man oh man! Talk about piling it on!
So here is where the training comes in.....
I asked for help!!!!!!
I actually lined up a ride here and a ride there trading a cup of coffee and some fellowship for a lift to the doc or a meeting.
I lined up a winter sponsor so there's no lag time. I am one of those who should not be without guidance!
The thing that amazes me most is at the meeting yesterday a woman came up to me and told me she felt she was a bad AA friend because she hadn't picked me up for anything yet! Little does she know she's getting a call this morning!
Just because I've been sober for a long time now does not mean I don't have to practice some humility, swallow my pride (the I can do it myself attitude) and ask for help. Being laid up is a good reminder forceful of that.
Thanks God, and Thanks AA for teaching me H.O.W.
HJ&F in Ohio

2 comments:

verge 'n michael said...

Ahhh, the squeeky wheel finds it humbling to ask for help. Think of the opportunity for service you are offering others.

kathies said...

I often forget that asking for help works and, instead, waste time and energy struggling with trying to do something myself, my way. I went to meetings for a few years, drinking inbetween, acting as though sobriety was entirely up to me. Thanks for the post.