AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Todays' the Day!

It's 5 am. Thanksgiving morning. I've been awake since 3. My Doctor told me yesterday I could start putting weight on my foot. With the stern warning "as tolerated and only in the house". I'm sure you can figure out the rest!
Pat and I are spending the day at home alone for the fist time in years. Since we moved to Ohio we usually go out,to an AA friends or to our friend Lisa's (who has kind of adopted us over the years and opened her heart and home to us).
Since I'm incapacitated Pat's doing all the work. I won't bore you with the menu but here's a sample: Smoked Salmon, Crab Cakes, Beef....Oh! and home made French Silk Pie.
I wanted to wish all of you a Happy, Sober Thanksgiving and include a little gratitude list as a reminder. So here goes...

Aside from all the usual Sobriety,Higher Power relationship, roof over my head.

1. A husband who is not only my best friend but my HERO. Who makes so many sacrifices,and keeps me safe from myself when I don't even know it at the time.

2.Friends who are not afraid to tell me the truth.

3. A Sponsor who with gentle guidance over the years has helped me through the darkest time in my life.

4.The Steps of AA for allowing me to accept my mothers illness and let her not only be a 3 year old but to be MY 3 year old.

5. Time : I have lots of it these days. I am able to give it away to many girls in the fellowship.

6. Timmy : even when we don't see each other for awhile we keep each other on the straight and narrow. We're truly blessed in our relationship.

7.My brothers' new daughter. Pat and I were asked to be her guardians in the case of a catastrophic incident.

8.Most of all Freedom! Freedom from bondage of self, free to become the woman I can and want to be, free to be the friend I would want for me, the sister, the wife, the daughter,the example.

Thanks for letting me be a part of today instead of looking in from the outside. Big change for someone like me.
Funny thing is I'm grateful everyday I wake up on this side of the grass and every night I don't take a drink with the help of my H.P.
Smile it's good for you!

1 comment:

verge 'n michael said...

Grab it all tight and keep on trudgin'. Or maybe like Alanon suggests, hold them all like buterflies. In either case gratitude lists are the best medicine for the "poor mes."