AN INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHT

From my 1880s meditation book: "When we do our work in the great present...we are like to Him with whom there is no past or future...We walk without fear, full of hope and courage and strength to do His will, waiting for the endless good which He is always giving as fast as He can get us able to take it in." G. Mc Donald .....sent by 12 Step Jan
To our Readers: If you would like to share an inspirational thought or a saying that perked your ears at a meeting and helped your recovery, please send it to hngbook@gmail.com .

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thank You, Thanksgiving

A November sunrise along a stream in the White Mountains northeast of Tucson, during an annual brush clearing burn.

My family is scattered widely throughout the U.S. and Canada, and my 96-yr-old Dad and I go it alone for the holidays now. Last week when I was getting groceries, I paused at the bin of turkies, but didn't hoist one into my basket. My head was saying, "You just can't do this anymore...cook a turkey and all the trimmings for two people to consume a couple of slices and one leg and a scoop of this and that. The tears didn't roll, but they were poised as I got in my car and headed home. No more than a mile along, my cell phone chirped and it was my Dad's number. I thought about not answering, because I was driving, but I can't ignore his calls, ever. It was Sharrie, a gal who helps caregive for him in his home. She asked what he and I were doing for Thanksgiving, and I replied that it was looking like we'd have the traditional Thanksgiving bacon and eggs. She laughed and asked us to join her family, and you bet I said yes, yes. After about 40 years of being the official turkey cooker, I didn't even have to pass the torch. It is done.
Thank you to AA for giving me the tools to live life on life's terms and to be welcomed and invited and included....

2 comments:

verge 'n michael said...

Great photo! Isn't it fine that when we set aside pride and resentment things get simpler?

Happy Joyous Free in Ohio said...

Kathie,
I just love your blog entries. I always get something positive from them. Thanks for your up close and personal sharing.